It’s Graduation Season!
Helpful Tips for Parents and Guardians
- Actively supervise all gatherings of youth. Be present and aware.
- Tell your teen that they can call you anytime for a ride home if they are uncomfortable in the situation they are in, but that this does not give them permission to drink.
- Reinforce messages about the risk involved with using alcohol – including the risks of getting in a car crash or being a victim of crime. Establish the expectation that they are not to drink until they are 21.
- Make sure that any alcohol in your home is locked up to prevent youth from accessing it. Never provide alcohol to a minor or allow minors to drink on your property or a property/event under your control. Novato has a Social Host Ordinance that is enforced by law enforcement.
- Let other parents and adults know you expect the same from them. Be a good role model with your own alcohol use.
- Call law enforcement if you know of a party that might happen or is happening. You could save a life. You can report parties without leaving your name and in any language. Contact Novato Police Dept at 415-897-4361 or Marin County Sheriff at 415-479-2311 (if you live in unincorporated areas).
- Always call 911 in case of emergency, even if your actions contributed to underage drinking. Police will consider your efforts to address the emergency when issuing a penalty.
This campaign is supported by the Healthy Novato Initiative. Its community partners have additional resources and support for you: North Marin Community Services, North Bay Security Group, Novato Unified School District, Marin YMCA, Youth Leadership Institute; along with Novato Police Department and Novato Fire District.
Community resources and information are available through the Healthy Novato Initiative partners, in the collaborative efforts to reduce underage drinking and substance use.