It’s Graduation Season!
Helpful Tips for Parents and Guardians
- Actively supervise all gatherings of youth. Be present and aware.
- Tell your teen that they can call you anytime for a ride home if they are uncomfortable in the situation they are in, but that this does not give them permission to drink.
- Reinforce messages about the risk involved with using alcohol – including the risks of getting in a car crash or being a victim of crime. Establish the expectation that they are not to drink until they are 21.
- Make sure that any alcohol in your home is locked up to prevent youth from accessing it. Never provide alcohol to a minor or allow minors to drink on your property or a property/event under your control. Novato has a Social Host Ordinance that is enforced by law enforcement.
- Let other parents and adults know you expect the same from them. Be a good role model with your own alcohol use.
- Call law enforcement if you know of a party that might happen or is happening. You could save a life. You can report parties without leaving your name and in any language. Contact Novato Police Dept at 415-897-4361 or Marin County Sheriff at 415-479-2311 (if you live in unincorporated areas).
- Always call 911 in case of emergency, even if your actions contributed to underage drinking. Police will consider your efforts to address the emergency when issuing a penalty.
This campaign is supported by the Healthy Novato Initiative. Its community partners have additional resources and support for you: North Marin Community Services, North Bay Security Group, Novato Unified School District, Marin YMCA, Youth Leadership Institute; along with Novato Police Department and Novato Fire District.